top of page

I don't know what work Dad did in his 2 years in civilian life. I know he had returned to the police department after his final separation following Korea and I believe that I recall Mom saying that he had also returned after World War II. Unfortunately, the time lapse in the available records, leaves me unable to verify that information. Mom, at that time, didn't work outside the home. As was typical of the times she was full time homemaker.

By 1946 they had moved just a mere 3 miles from the South 26th Street address into a modest 2-story brick row home at 520 S. Yewdall Street, Philadelphia. Around August 20th, 1948, they moved out of South Philadelphia to 3245 Friendship Street, into the relatively new area that would become know as Northeast Philadelphia. Dad and Mom had been married 10-1/2 years and they wanted to be parents. But, for unknown reasons, they were unable to have children of their own. They dedicded to adopt and in 1948 the adoption of their son, John Jr.

He is pictured above left playing with Mom in the master bedroom of the Friendship Street home shortly after joining the family.

Korea, which had been a colony of Japan and under that country's rule, had been in turmoil for sometime. Following World War II, the US had been involved in efforts to help liberate South Korea with focus that Korea's government would, in time, be independant and, too, the US feared that the Soviets (Russians to those younger than 40) would overtake the country. After having met certain concessions were made and the South Korean government now out of Japan's control and in the hands of the people of South Korea, the United Nations (UN) declared that the US forces leave the country and in November 1948, they did.

Photo taken on board the USS Colonial

Presumably because of the turmoil overseas, Dad had already requested a voluntary recall to active duty and on October 1st, 1948 he officially rejoined the Navy being assigned to the 4th Naval District, Philadelphia, PA. In June 1950 all out civil war broke out in Korea when North Korea invaded South Korea.

Between October 1st, 1948 but before May 1950, Dad was assigned to the USS Colonial (LSD 18). In the picture to the right, taken aboard the USS Colonial, Dad is standing to the far right. The inscription only read that this was a photo of the "Colonial command crew" but didn't list the names of the other 2 men.

In 1950, according to his Naval paperwork, the ship was dispatched to effect the evacuation of the United Nations Troops from Hungman and Woson, Korea. The Naval Historical Center in Washington, DC,, incidates the USS Colonial's activities (in part) during this time to be as follows:

Colonial participated in amphibious training out of Norfolk, conducting local, east coast, and Caribbean operations, and voyaging from Cuba and Puerto Rico as far north as Newfoundland until 15 August 1950,

when she cleared Norfolk for Far Eastern duty. Calling at San Diego en route to Kobe, Colonial landed men and tanks of the 1st Marines at Inchon in September, .and troops and equipment at Wonsan and Iwon in December. She acted as "mother ship" for minesweepers on the Korean east coast for a month during this tour, returning to San Diego, her new home port, 27 August. Here she was overhauled and had underway training before returning to Japan and Korea for duty from 17 January to 4 November 1952. During this tour she supported minesweepers working in Wonsan Harbor, and took part in amphibious training.

Photo (above right) taken on board the USS Colonial; the sailor is unidentified Photo obtained from 

From September 1st, 1950 until February 28th, 1951, held the position of Executive Officer of the USS Colonial. His handwritten notes and official records indicate that he was apart of the ships activities, specifically, the amphibious landings at Inchon and Woson in 1950 and the USS Colonials first ever mindsweeping operation.

While aboard the USS Colonial, Dad certainly had other duties to perform, among the was casualty reporting officer within Korean combat zone with ComPhibPac and ComMinRon three.

On November 16th, 1951, he was relieved of duty and separated from the USS Colonial. After a 30 day leave period he reported for duty as the Assistant to the Director of Naval Personnel for Naval Reserve Assistance at the Fourth Naval District, Philadelphia, PA.

It was during this time that I came along. I was placed by Catholic Charaties with Dad and Mom in October 1953 and my adoption was finalized in November 1954.

The left photo was taken between October 1953 and November 1954; the right photo, taken at the Philadelphia Naval Base is CA 1955.

Dad enjoyed his few years back home in Philly but the inevitable transfer came in 1955. The Navy issued orders that transferred Dad from Philadelphia to Roosevelt Rhodes Naval Base, San Juan, Purerto Rico. This time, though, Dad wasn't heading into battle and he wasn't going alone.

Life in the Navy isn't always all work and no play...

There is "evidence" that there was always time for a good game of cards! Photo believed to be prior to 1950; other person is unknown.

Photo was taken at a "tourist" photo studio during layover in Hawaii, CA 1951

Dad's Christmas card from Hawaii, CA 1951

Portrait photo sent to my grandmother, Rose A. Kane

(front and back inscriptions)

February 1951, Japan

Previous      Page 9      Next Page

bottom of page